Tuesday, April 7, 2009

An Update on the Heart Thing

Apparently the heart thing is caused by a thyroid thing that I've got going on. The cardiologist drew blood last week and tested my thyroid levels. Apparently they're a little on the high side which indicates hyperthyroidism. Well after trying (and failing) to control my panic (I left messages for pretty much every doctor I've seen in the last year) about what this all means - I finally got some answers. Basically I'm not going to die and its not going to affect the baby. It will need to be controlled with medication - that's safe for the baby - and I'll just have to get that many more blood draws. Yea!

(Have I ever mentioned how much I don't like getting blood drawn??)

With that news, I am feeling much more relaxed and not as worried. I talked to the OB office yesterday and they said that when I come in for my appointment next week they'll review the results of the labs with me and then refer me to an endocrinologist for treatment. I told Jeff that I'm going to create a doctor chart and see how many different specialized doctors I can see with trying to and now being pregnant. *sigh* I'm so tired of doctors... I was really looking forward to just having a once a month OB visit for the next few months.

With regards to the hyperthyroid - it is most likely something I had before but being pregnant cause the heart symptom to show up and get some attention. *joy* But it kindof makes sense.... I've always been somebody who's tired alot and ready to fall asleep anywhere, anytime which apparently is a symptom. Who knew??? I am kind of excited at the prospect that with treatment I might actually have the same energy levels as normal people.

1 comment:

  1. Phew. I'm glad it's something that can be treated, and that the baby *happy squeal* is OK.

    ReplyDelete