Saturday, February 19, 2011

Post Baby Weight Loss

Ya, I know... I'm about 16 months post-baby, and its a little long to be still talking about baby weight. Read a book a few months ago that said that after a year any weight that you haven't lost wasn't due to pregnancy but was your weight to keep and fight with - I threw that book out. (actually read a book around 9 months post baby and it said any weight that you keep after six months is yours - I burned that one).

Anyways... I digress...

I'm happy to say that I'm give or take on a good or bad day roughly what I weighed when I got pregnant (even or +3lbs) - overall I say I've lost all the baby weight. As much as I would like to blame the jiggle thighs and the belly and the padding on the hips (roughly about 20lbs I'd like to drop) on the growth and nurturing of Langdon, I can't... its mostly a result of a comfortable four years of marriage, adjusting to working a full time job after college, and an addiction to anything sweet or sugary.

So waaay back prior to even being pregnant when we were just "trying" and not working with the fert doctors I had probably around 10-15 lbs I wanted to lose. I was kind of meh about it, and wasn't really working hard to do it, b/c lets be honest, it wasn't really bothering me and things were relatively tight, toned and in shape. Even after the extra 5-10lbs slid on before pregnancy I honestly thought - well after I get pregnant and I'm on the weight loss road, what's another 10-15 or 20lbs to drop off?? Right?? I even believed this, probably right up until about a month ago when I stalled out completely at my pre-baby weight.

Mother nature is cruel. I managed to lose 50 pounds... yup FIFTY - after having Langdon. Granted most of that was water weight, increased blood volume, a baby, etc... but after about three weeks of him being born I was carrying around 25 extra pounds. Those took some time to come off - didn't really get there until he was about a year and I stopped breastfeeding. Could they have come off sooner? Sure - but dieting and breastfeeding don't really go together (and if you have proof that can be done, please don't say anything b/c I quite enjoyed just enjoying my food) and between being hooked up to the milk machine, nursing, or just not sleeping all night I had zero desire to go to the gym. So it took about 5 months and I was back in my pre-preg pant size comfortably and another 6 months and those pants are looseish. So why wouldn't I assume that it would keep slowly but surely melt off?

Nope... Its stuck. Had one dip below the baseline and the scale must have realized what happened because the following week it rebounded right back to where it was. I even have trained and run a 5K in the last 6 weeks - did it go down at all? Nope. Sigh... I guess I might have to actually diet to lose this next 10-20 lbs. Boo!

Moral of this ridiculously long post about my weight (which I'm sure was not remotely interesting or funny to read): If you want to lose weight, lose it now and don't worry about "I don't want to go to all that work of losing the weight if I'm just going to pack it back on being pregnant" - cause your body knows... it'll go back to where you were before and hold steady like a stubborn mule. Oh and you really can't lose weight if you keep eating Jelly Belly jellybeans while you type on a computer :)

Definition of insanity: Keep doing the same thing over and over again, and expect different results!

1 comment:

  1. Great...now you tell me...a little too late to lose the 10lbs I need to before I get pregnant!

    ReplyDelete