Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Perceptions and Assumptions

SO I'm a little frustrated with work at the moment. I'm not quite sure how to handle it either. Prior to L being born my boss would offer me lots of opportunities to do special assignments and travel for work. After he was born there has been a definite change in what I am given in terms of special projects etc. At first I did put it out there that I would prefer not to travel a lot in the first year. No problem - went on two business trips of three days or less. That worked for me. However now that L is over a year, and my dh has been wonderfully supportive of me pursuing opportunities that could advance my career, I want to make sure that I'm considered for travel and special assignments. Nothing too crazy - I don't want to be gone for a long time, but if its a less than a week assignment, please consider me!

Prior to the holidays I had my annual review with my boss. It went really well. But when we started talking about development plans for next year. I mentioned that I would like to be able to travel, etc etc. And my boss' response was well you let me know what you want to do, raising a young family is hard and I don't want to ask too much of you. Its nice that he's being considerate, but its frustrating at the same time - I told him that I need him to tell me what opportunities are available so I can consider them - otherwise I don't even know they're available. I told him that dh was completely supportive and all that (they know each other fairly well and have hung out a few times too). I think that maybe surprised him, I'm not sure... but is it wrong that I'm a little sensitive to that? Maybe I'm a little paranoid about being thrown on the so-called "mommy-track".

No comments:

Post a Comment