When I was a teenager, people in their 20's were way old and totally were adults and all that stuff. When I was in my early 20's, people in their late 20's were totally grown up and all that stuff (and those 30 people, especially those that were parents - whoa! totally had their shit together).
As I've gotten older and reached the next age group I've realized that really nobody in their 20's has a clue of what's going on and its a near miracle that they appear to be functioning adults because mom and dad are still in the background helping with life crisis type stuff. Now that I'm 30 I realize and I'm starting to get the feeling that really nobody truely has their shit together and has everything down pat. Its just one big pretend game of I know what I'm doing. At least this is what I tell myself to feel better.
I wonder does anybody else feel like this? I'm constantly just making it up as I go along with society being a general reference point of "are we doing this right?" It hit me this morning that I work for a Fortune 100 company that trusts me to make decisions that quite frankly if they aren't the right ones could land them with a lawsuit. Don't get me wrong - I'm confident I know what I'm doing with the things I've learned and I definitely know when to ask for help. But its just kind of a bizarre thing - since most of the time I feel the same way I did when I was 25.
Our babysitter that we use is 21. Does she look at me and my husband and think the same thing - these guys are in their 30's with a kid and house and careers... these guys have got it together! Cause I sure thought that about the people I babysat for until I was 18... they had 3 kids and lived in the same neighborhood as my parents.
Bizarre... wonder if it ever goes away - the feeling of we're just making it up as we go along...
No comments:
Post a Comment