There are so many things that you have to be "in the mood" for - type of food for dinner, being productive at work... bedroom activity, you know what I mean. But who knew you had to get in the Mood for pumping?
This week is my first week back at work. Still nursing (I have a wierd issue with saying I'm breastfeeding, nothing wrong with it, just wierd about it, anywhoo....) Langdon so while I'm at work I'm pumping. Its not like I haven't done this before. Been pumping since he was about 4 days old - its been a sanity saver since other people can help with feeding and I can get out of the house. Didn't have any issues with production levels either.
Well apparently being at home and around Langdon while I pumped helped things out. Being in a office with white walls and florescent lighting not so much. Noticed a noticeable decrease in output for my pumpings. I attribute that to partially the stress of having to be at work again, not eating as much as I did at home, and not feeling as rested (not like I was really rested to begin with, but the tiredness is exacerbated since I can't take a midday nap anymore). Based on my research I've found that you have to get in the Mood to express milk. Suggestions range from look at pictures, record your baby's voice, take some of their clothes that smell like them, clean diaper, etc. Essentially get all your senses involved.
So I have. I feel really wierd, but I do what I need to do. So in addition to setting up my pump machine and associated gear I have a little photo album of pictures of Langdon, I have his voice recorded on my phone, and a clean wash cloth that smells like him. Have not resorted to a diaper... yet. It appears to help. But man, I feel wierd about it.
I HATED pumping. Loathed would be a better word. I could breast feed like a champ, but I just couldnt seem to get the hang of pumping. It was frustrating, but I loved nursing so much that I got over it.
ReplyDeleteYup - pumping sucks ass... I'm same as you -dealing with it cause I love being able to nurse. What makes me sad is that since he gets a bottle so much now Langdon is starting to not be such a great nurser. He wants to sit up when he gets his bottle and he gets frustrated when I try to nurse him cause he has to work harder :( I've realized I'm keeping up with it for two reasons 1) its great for him and me and 2) I enjoy the extra calorie burn so I can continue to eat chocolate and not worry about gaining weight (even though I'm not losing it either right now)
ReplyDelete